People on board
CAMPBELL, Rev. William Ildefonsus
William Campbell was the son of John Campbell and Rosina Irwin of Dublin, one of 10 children. Curiously, many of the siblings did not marry and could still be found living together in Mountjoy Square on the 1911 census. His brother John was deaf. William became a priest of the Benedictine order. He also served at The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Redditch, but his final post was that of parish priest of St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church in Coventry from 1914-1918. He had been visiting friends and family in Dublin before returning on the RMS Leinster. He is buried in Glasnevin cemetery in Dublin in a family plot and his name is also recorded in that graveyard’s war memorial.
Text: Claire Bradley