People on board
DOMEGAN, Christopher Patrick
Christopher Domegan was born on 10 March 1896 to Patrick Domegan and Catherine Malone. Patrick from the townland of Heathtown, Stamullen, County Meath and Catherine, who gave Four Knocks, nearby site of a prehistoric passage tomb, as her address, had married in Ardcath parish church in February 1895. Both families had lived in the Ardcath area for several generations, but by the time of Christopher’s birth Patrick and Catherine had moved to 73 North Brunswick Street in the Smithfield area of south inner Dublin city. This was a large old house, with fourteen occupants in the 1901 census, what was described in Dublin as a tenement. Patrick was described as ‘Head of Family’, with his wife and three children and a maid, and there were also eight single men, mostly labourers, living in the house. Patrick was also listed as ‘General Labourer’, though on all the children’s birth certificates he gave his occupation as ‘Tram Driver’. By 1911 the Domegan family had moved to 18 Brunswick Street and had increased to six children; there were only three boarders living with them in what was described in the census as ‘Hotel’. This time Patrick’s occupation was ‘Tram Driver’.
Christopher Patrick was the eldest of six children, three boys and three girls, born between 1896 and 1907. The spelling of the name ‘Domegan’ varied in a variety of official documents, and was often written as ‘Donegan’. Christopher worked for the Irish Land Commission before he enlisted with the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He later transferred to the Royal Air Force with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant, and had been promoted to Lieutenant by 1918. His available military records are limited, and do not show the dates of enlistment or transfer, nor do they show where he had fought.
He was presumably returning to Britain from leave with his family when he travelled on RMS Leinster on 10 October 1918. He did not survive the sinking but his body was recovered and a death certificate was issued. He was buried in the family grave in Ardcath graveyard. His name is remembered on the Land Commission Memorial in Mornington House in Dublin.