People on board
VAUGHAN, Francis Samuel (Frank)
Francis Samuel Vaughan, known as Frank, was born in Nottingham in 1865 to Frank Vaughan and Eliza Gould. In the 1871 census Frank, a Tailor’s Cutter, was living with his wife and her father, Samuel Gould who had been born in Dublin, Francis Samuel and two year old Clara. By 1881 another son, Thomas, had been born but Francis Samuel has not been found in that census.
In 1889 Frank Vaughan married Elizabeth Gould of Liscard, Wallasey, Birkenhead (no apparent link with his mother) and settled there. In the 1891 census he gave his occupation as ‘Photo Zincographer’. Their eldest son Frank was born that year followed by Donald in 1893. In 1901 both boys were attending Deytheur School in Montgomeryshire, and Donald went on to Wallasey Grammar School. In 1911 Frank described his work as ‘Process Block Engraver and Photo Lithographer’ and his nineteen year old son Frank was also a ‘Process Block Engraver’. They worked from premises in Lord Street in central Liverpool.
In September 1913 it was decided to establish a School of Book Production in the Technical School in Bolton Street, Dublin and the appointment of Principal Teacher was sanctioned at a salary of £300. Frank Vaughan took up this post, commuting regularly from Liverpool. The School provided classes in lithography, photo-mechanical process work and photography, as well as book-binding.
His two sons enlisted in the army, Frank as a Private in the Tank Corps and Donald in the King’s Liverpool Regiment, where he began as a Private and was promoted Lance Corporal and then 2nd Lieutenant in 1917. Donald was killed in action in November 1917 and was buried in Belgium.
Frank Vaughan was returning to England from his duties in the Technical School when he travelled on RMS Leinster on the 10th of October. He did not survive the sinking but his body was recovered and identified in the morgue by William Henry Johnson. His remains were returned to Liverpool and interred in Wallasey cemetery in the family grave.
His son Frank continued the business in Liverpool and in the 1939 Register was living with his mother in Bebington, just south of Liverpool, in a house named ’Deytheur’, after his old school. He never married and he and Elizabeth are buried with Francis Samuel in Wallasey cemetery.